Being A Representative Payee

Q: Last year I started receiving Social Security benefits for my adult disabled son and just received a form asking how his benefits were used during the year. What is this about? A: A person receiving Social Security or Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits on behalf of a child or adult is their representative payee. Representative…
Read More


Need A Replacement SSA-1099?

Q: For taxes, how do I replace my 1099 from Social Security? A: The SSA-1099 tax form is mailed each January to everyone receiving Social Security benefits. For tax purposes, it shows the total amount of benefits received by you from Social Security in the previous year. If a replacement 1099 is needed, the easiest…
Read More

Spousal Child-in-care Benefits

Q: I recently reached age 62 and start early Social Security in January. I will also receive dependent benefits for our 17-year-old son who is in high school and lives at home. Can my wife receive Social Security on my record now because our son will? She is in her 50’s and working. A: Based…
Read More

Changing A Child’s Representative Payee

Q: My ex-wife receives Social Security disability benefits for herself plus benefits for our daughter, for whom she has custody. Within the next few months, I will have custody and our daughter will live with me full-time. Will Social Security start sending benefits for her to me or will they continue going to my ex-wife?…
Read More

Should Mom Give Me The Money?

Q: I am 15 and receive Social Security, which goes to my Mom. Should she should give me the money?  A: When a person younger than age 18 receives Social Security or Supplemental Security Income (SSI), the payment is almost always sent to an adult on their behalf rather than directly to the child. This…
Read More