Changing Your Voluntary Tax Withholding

Q: How do I change the amount of taxes withheld from my Social Security benefit? A: Taxes are not routinely withheld from Social Security benefits but you can request, change or end voluntary Federal tax withholding by completing IRS Form W-4V, Voluntary Withholding Request, and returning it to your local SSA office. Voluntary withholding is…
Read More


Is Social Security Retirement Prorated?

Q: If starting retirement at age 62, is Social Security prorated for the days that I am 62? A: Social Security benefits are not prorated. You are either eligible for the complete month or not at all. For retirement, you must be at least age 62 through the entire month to receive benefits for that month. A…
Read More


Your My Social Security Password

Q: On long does a my Social Security password stay valid? A: Establishing your online my Social Security account at www.ssa.gov/myaccount/ allows immediate access to a growing number of services. You choose a personal username and password when creating your account. For security reasons, your password is valid for 6 months. If your password expires,…
Read More


Benefits To Your Stepchild

Q: Can my stepdaughter receive from my record when I retire? A: Perhaps. Your biological, adopted or dependent stepchildren may also qualify on your record when you receive Social Security benefits. In general, the child must be unmarried, and either younger than age 18, age 18 – 19 and still in high school, or over age…
Read More


Social Security Appeals Process

Q: How do I appeal a Social Security decision that I think is wrong?  A: With a few exceptions, nearly all Social Security decisions have an appeal process available. While the specific process can vary based on the issue in question, basic information about the appeals process is here.  Read any letter from Social Security…
Read More