When HUD Needs Verification Of Social Security Benefits

Social Security is constantly evolving to make doing business with us easier. If you are currently receiving benefits from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), and are reapplying for benefits, or are assisting someone with their application, a trip to a Social Security office is probably not necessary — even if verification of Social Security benefits is needed.

Because of a data exchange established between Social Security and HUD, most people do not need to contact Social Security for a benefit verification letter. HUD administrators processing a Recertification Application for Housing Assistance can use their Enterprise Income Verification (EIV) System to verify Social Security and Supplemental Security Income benefits.

Public housing agencies, private owners, and management agents who run HUD rental assistance programs may get registration information about EIV by logging onto the HUD portal or visiting www.hud.gov/offices/hsg/mfh/rhiip/eiv/eivhome.cfm.

If you are a new applicant for housing assistance, you can provide your HUD administrator with your Social Security award letter, Cost of Living Adjustment (COLA) notice, SSA-1099, or other Social Security benefit document.

You can also get an instant benefit verification letter online with a my Social Security account at www.socialsecurity.gov/myaccount.