Changing Your Name With Social Security

Q: I am getting married this month and will change my name. When should I change my Social Security card?

A: Congratulations.

Correcting your name on your Social Security number card can be on your list of things to do after the honeymoon.

The name on your Social Security card should be the same as used by your employer so your earnings are correctly posted to your personal work record.

Changing your name requires completion of the Application for A Social Security Card (Form SS-5) and evidence to document your new name, such as your marriage certificate.

Download the SS-5 from the Social Security number (SSN) section of the website. There you can follow a decision tree for more about needed documents and learn where to take or mail the completed application and evidence.

Be sure to submit original documents whether mailing or bringing your application to Social Security. Photocopies or notarized copies are not acceptable. All documents are returned to you.

Make sure you go to the official Social Security website,, for SSN information. There is no charge for any SSN activity, whether updating your name or just replacing a lost card.

Reminder: Do you receive Social Security or Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits? If yes, it is your responsibility to report a marriage or divorce whether or not your name is changing.