Need A Replacement SSA-1099?

Q: For taxes, how do I replace my 1099 from Social Security?

A: The SSA-1099 tax form is mailed each January to everyone receiving Social Security benefits. For tax purposes, it shows the total amount of benefits received by you from Social Security in the previous year.

If a replacement 1099 is needed, the easiest and fastest way to obtain one is through your online, personal pin and password secured, my Social Security account. Once logged on to your personal account, select the “Replacement Documents” tab and request a replacement.

When receiving Social Security benefits, other available my Social Security based online services include downloading a letter to verify information about your benefits including amount and type of benefits received, replacing a Medicare card and even updating mailing address and direct deposit information on your benefit record.

Some, but not all, of these services are also available through a my Social Security account for people receiving Supplemental Security Income (SSI).

To create your own my Social Security account and use these services, go to  You will be asked to provide personal information and answer additional security questions. Then you create a username and password.

Social Security representatives can assist you in creating a my Social Security account after seeing identification but only you have access to it once created.

You can only create an account for yourself. Representative payees receive benefits on behalf of beneficiaries unable to handle their own funds. A payee cannot create a my Social Security account for the person they are helping but can create one for themselves.

With a my Social Security account, people not yet receiving Social Security can see their Statement.

A replacement 1099 can also be obtained from your local Social Security office or by calling the SSA national toll-free number, 1-800-772-1213, TTY 1-800-325-0778.