Form SSA-1099 For Tax Year 2012

If you need to pay taxes on your Social Security benefits, a Form SSA-1099 for tax year 2012 will be needed. The SSA-1099 shows the total amount of benefits received in the previous year. Social Security mails the form to all beneficiaries by January 31.

Anyone needing to replace a SSA-1099 for 2012 can now request a replacement at  A copy of your SSA-1099 will arrive in the mail in about 10 days (30 days if you live outside the United States).

The replacement SSA-1099 is mailed to the address on file at Social Security. If you recently moved without yet providing your new mailing address, you must report your change of address to Social Security before the request for a replacement SSA-1099 can be processed.

Tax tips to share:

  1. Make sure all dependents listed on a taxpayer’s annual tax forms have Social Security numbers.
  2. Check the names and numbers to make sure they match up.The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) checks all the names and Social Security numbers on tax returns against Social Security Administration records. If the names and numbers do not match Social Security’s records, it could mean a delay in receiving any tax refund due.

For more information on taxation of Social Security benefits, or to order the publication “Tax information for Older Americans” (Publication #554), call the IRS at 800-829-3676 or visit the IRS website,