Social Security Website Changes

Changes to the Social Security website took place last week, with the most important being to the homepage at Now, one menu box is used to reach all topics rather than the several topic boxes previously used. In addition to simplifying how to find information, related coding changes will speed up page loading and make the…
Read More


Social Security Appeals Process

Q: How do I appeal a Social Security decision that I think is wrong?  A: With a few exceptions, nearly all Social Security decisions have an appeal process available. While the specific process can vary based on the issue in question, basic information about the appeals process is here.  Read any letter from Social Security…
Read More


Internet Replacement SSN And My Social Security

my Social Security  is a secure online hub for doing business with Social Security, and 25 million people have created an account. Current Social Security beneficiaries can manage their account including address and direct deposit changes. They can also obtain a benefit verification letter and request a replacement SSA-1099. Medicare beneficiaries can request a replacement…
Read More

Info for-website

Information For … Perhaps You

Last week I wrote a post about Social Security and women, including that program legislation is gender neutral but that there is a “Women” section of the Social Security website at Although benefits are the same for all, as a means to circulate accurate program information, Social Security tries to catch the interest of…
Read More


Is Age 65 Still Important For Social Security Retirement?

Q: Is age 65 still important for Social Security retirement? A: While age 65 is important as the starting age for Medicare, it has no special meaning for Social Security retirement anymore. Until the Social Security Amendments of 1983, retirement benefits were not reduced for age if you waited until age 65 before starting them.…
Read More